Sunday, January 18, 2009

Worst Friend in the World

I have this friend.

Our friendship started out as jokes and funny stories and goofy comments made back and forth. It evolved during hours on the phone, long conversations, secrets shared, stories told. It progressed into the stuff of true friendship: love, respect, honesty, comfort, angry words, torn hearts, reconciliations, kindness, generosity and tenderness.

He has been my confidante, my partner in crime, my sounding board, a shoulder to cry on and my cheering section.

We both have busy lives and busy schedules. He lives far away but we try to see each other when we can. We go for weeks without talking yet each knows that the other is only a phone call away. I know that he would do anything for me.

I forgot his birthday this month. Not just "I forgot to call dwg last Saturday for his birthday" but "OH FUCK, I FORGOT YOUR BIRTHDAY!" Yeah, that kind of forgot, you know that kind.

For that I am the worst friend in the world. I suck! To dwg, I am so sorry I spaced your day and I wish you the happiest of days - not just on your birthday but every day. I love you my friend. Even when we don't talk that often, even when weeks and weeks go by. I love you and am only a phone call away.

No comments: